Sunday, June 09, 2013

Modern Masters draft - 2-1 with Domain

This was an 8-man Modern Masters draft where we were keeping the cards drafted and the prizes weren't really significant. So as well as Rare-grabbing there was also a certain amount of Uncommon-grabbing, though the Lightning Helix I took just on value did end up in my deck (but the Spell Snare didn't).

After first picking Glen Elendra Archmage, I got a second pick Tromp the Domains and picked mostly green for the rest of the first booster. With the green cards seemingly expensive (my 'curve' started at 4cmc with Imperiosaur and Masked Admirers) and no second colour I grabbed Search for Tomorrow's as a priority in boosters two and three, also got some land-cyclers, and tried to pick up removal. The table seemed to undervalue Torrent of Stone - I got one very late (the table also undervalued Incremental Growth, and I had a couple of them, but they didn't fit in my deck at all). The other rares I opened were Ethersworn Canonist and Lotus Bloom, nice for Modern but not much help for Modern Masters.

The final deck was:

Durkwood Baloth
Giant Duskwasp
Pestermite
Trygon Predator
2 Masked Admirers
2 Imperiosaur 
2 Sporoloth Ancient
Walker of the Grove
(11 creatures)

Lightning Helix
Tribal Flames
Glacial Ray
Electrolyze
2 Torrent of Stone
Tromp the Domains
(7 spells)

3 Search for Tomorrow
2 Sylvan Bounty
8 Forest
5 Mountain
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
(22 mana sources!)

The actual games were fun to play but not that interesting to relate(*). I beat UW artifacts decks rounds one and three, getting Trygon Predator active once against both, and in between lost to a UW deck when I stumbled on mana twice (and in one of them he had Kira blanking my removal) and both games he had T6 Aethersnipe and killed me the turn after with Blinding Beam.

With doubles of Amrou Scout, Bound in Silence and Blinding Beam the UW deck deservedly won the draft. The 2-1 decks were my Domain, a UB Fearies (with mill alternate win from Mind Funeral, Dampen Thought and Oona) and an interesting GR Suspend that used Fury Charm as a Ritual - for example suspending Pardic Dragon for RR and then using Fury Charm to remove the two suspend counters to have it enter play immediately with haste. Making up the numbers were the two UW Artifact decks and two BR Goblins.

Drafting Modern Masters this way was fun, but I'm definitely looking forward to later drafts organised, where I can draft without worrying about value and just for the deck.

* Though in one game I did cast Masked Admirers, splice Glacial Ray on Torrent of Stone, regrow Masked Admirer's and recast it, splice the other Torrent of Stone onto Glacial Ray, and Tromp the Domains for +5/+5. SO MUCH VALUE.

No comments: